Skip to main content

Why not both?

Thelma was gone this evening and had Emma with her, so it was the perfect opportunity to let the boys eat food that is normally quite low on Thelma's list of approved dining options. Before driving to the high school to pick up Braeden from play practice, I asked Mark, "Would you rather have Chinese food or stop at Little Caesar's to get pizza?" Then, inspiration struck me while he was agonizing over the choice.

"What about both?" I asked.

 His eyes lit up and I could see he knew where I was going with this.

"How about we make a Chinese pizza?"

Mark started to rattle off a list of ingredients. That kid knows how to build. Usually, it's Legos. Tonight it was pizza.

The original idea for a Chinese pizza came during a recent in-the-van-driving-somewhere conversation. I challenged everyone to come up with a strange pizza combination. Between Braeden and I, we imagined a combination that included General Tso chicken in some form. Braeden dubbed it the Red Star.

With Thelma gone, tonight was the perfect night to give it a try. We stopped off at Safeway and bought the Express Special—General Tso chicken, chicken teriyaki, fried rice, chow mein and two pot stickers—some mozzarella cheese and a bag of pizza dough. (The Safeway dough isn't that good, but I didn't care. I wasn't planning on eating it. It's not on my diet.) I thought some shredded carrots would be a nice touch. The boys didn't agree. Mark wanted to use the chow mein as one of the toppings. (Again, I wasn't eating it.) Braeden was willing as long as we kept back the fried rice, just to be sure there was something good to eat if the pie turned out to be a disaster.

So, was it a disaster or was it, as the Chinese would say, 鮮美?  You be the judge. (I didn't have have any.) There's no recipe, but if you are brave enough, you can follow Braeden's photographic essay and try your own variation.

The "raw" ingredients.


Mark wanted the noodles. I'm trying to think of a joke that involves Marco Polo.


This was the maiden voyage for my "new" pizza stone. Thelma bought it a year ago to replace my broken stone, but it's hard to give up a stone that works so well even if I do have to piece it together each time I use it.

The final product.

It must have been decent, because the boys ate all but one piece that they saved for Emma.  Then again, they are growing boys.  Downing one pizza between the two of them is going easy.


Comments

Marianne said…
Wow, Adam. You guys are so creative. I guess it's easier to be creatively brave when you don't have to eat it. Braeden and Mark--now that's brave!

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.