Skip to main content

A rant with no solutions


A comment I hear every now and again is that no one responsible for the collapse of our economy or the mortgage crisis at its center has ever been held responsible.  I have a few problems with that statement.

First, who deserves the blame?  I'm not informed enough to know precisely who is responsible.  I suspect blame can be shared far and wide from the bankers and investors who concocted shaky financial instruments to  ratings agencies to regulators to the parties taking out mortgages they couldn't afford.  Did I leave anyone out?

Second, it isn't true that no one has been held responsible.  There have been at least three criminal cases and a handful of civil cases brought against various individuals and institutions.  Still, in an environment where so many people are out of work with little prospect of finding sustainable employment, it is hard to feel like justice has been done when you compare the relatively few fines to the billions of dollars in aid that went to financial institutions that are built on greed and managed by multi-millionaires.  What good are a few fines to people who need economic assistance or even those who have jobs now but are facing decreasing wages in real terms?

I'm not in favor of the class warfare language I see in editorial pages and hear on the airwaves, but I do think there is something broken in our economic system or society.  As undeserving as some of the recipients may have been on their personal merits, our society relies on the credit and cash flow made possible by large banks and investment houses.  Salvaging the savings and investments of the middle class meant propping up the wealth of the privileged.  Insulated from their share of responsibility, those who have the most are securing a larger and larger share of wealth in this country.

What's the phrase?  "A rising tide lifts all boats?"  Maybe so, but that assumes all of the boats are in the water.  Right now, it feels like a lot of the boats are stuck on shore.

No one who looks at our tax code can honestly say we're all in this together.  Nor would anyone come to that conclusion we live in a land of opportunity by comparing the skills produced in our schools with the skills required to fill the jobs that exist.  When we rely on illegal immigrant labor and create incentives for whole classes of people to live in perpetual dishonesty, can we say with any honesty that we are the land of the free?  When we pass legislation creating financial obligations we can't afford or when politicians obstruct our ability to meet the obligations we do have, is that the new definition of brave?

The status quo is not getting it done for this country.  It is not creating wide-spread opportunity.  Simply cutting spending and relying on the business community to create jobs won't work.  Companies are profitable and sitting on record reserves of cash.  Laying off government workers and reducing services isn't going to change that.  Similarly, just taxing the rich to do more of the same isn't going to suddenly create opportunity either.  Funding payroll tax breaks and unemployment benefits through taxes on millionaires won't solve the structural problems with our entitlement programs or refocus government on creating opportunity through infrastructure investments, education and smarter regulation.  None of the above is going to restore moral values or societal norms of honesty, caring for one another and living responsibly.

So what's the solution?  I'm not sure, or at least I'm not settled sufficiently in my mind to put it in writing. But I don't think it is going to be found entirely on the populist left or right of our political spectrum.  I think it is going to take a political leader who looks more like a centrist and is willing to pragmatically implement good ideas wherever they are found.  It is going to take us coming to terms with the outcome we want government to effect in our society and electing leaders who can advance that agenda.

(See how I ducked the question there?  A long answer, but not a solution.  I'll write about my thoughts on some possible solutions—both personal and political—later.)

Comments

Thelma said…
I think you're the pragmatic smart person we need to lead us...and you're now old enough to be president!

(Besides, I think the First Lady gets a lot of new clothes.)

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.