Skip to main content

Chinesey

Day 1 in the books as a single parent while Thelma is away at BYU for her yearly pilgrimage to Women's Conference.  Traditionally, life without Mom has meant an orgy of fast food and takeout.  No sooner had I dropped Thelma and my mother off at the airport then Braeden was calling me to see what I had planned for lunch.

"I was thinking we could go to the Grand China Buffet," he suggested in his sweetest voice.

I'm determined that this year will be different, though.  We aren't going to eat out every meal.  We're going to make our best attempt at cooking for ourselves, controlling our portions and choosing (moderately) healthy ingredients.  That's our plan and we're sticking to it... starting tomorrow.

Tonight, it was the Grand China Buffet after all.  Braeden speaks of it in reverent tones.  Eight tables of Chinese and American food plus a Mongolian grill and sushi bar.  He must have been playing it up behind the scenes because Emma and Mark were giddy like Christmas morning as we left for swim practice—an inconvenient pit stop, as they viewed it, on our way to what I heard someone in the back seat call the Terrestrial Kingdom of food.  There are a lot of motivations for obeying God's commandments and seeking heaven.  Apparently, my children are motivated by the menu.  (Are there free refills in Eternity?)  Thankfully, their gastro-theology leaves room for more refined dining.

Braeden was too busy stuffing his face to say much during our meal.  He did come up for air long enough to try some sushi.  He managed to keep it down, which is more than I was able to do.  I want to like sushi, I really do.  But I can't quite suppress the gag reflex when that seaweed flavor kicks in.

Emma was proud of her healthy choices—salad, fruit, vegetables, small portions—although I'm not sure you're allowed to be so self-congratulatory after plate number nine.  Still, she was determined to have something healthy on every plate.  Her desert plate consisted of chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, jello, a brownie and—wait for the healthy part—a single grape the size of a small plum.

Mark is never without words and appreciation for food.  He tried some new things.  He discovered that he does not like coconut shrimp but does enjoy sucking clams right out of the shell.  At one point he looked at me with a chow mein noodle dangling off his wide grin and said, "What if I was eating this while I was laying in bed and playing Lego Star Wars and a robot would just put food in my mouth and I would eat it.  That would be awesome."

I started to get worried when he was going to get a few more grapes and instead came back with a plate full of jello and a cheeseburger.  (The fact that I wasn't worried any sooner should tell you all you need to know about the quality of my parenting.)  I told him that he had probably had enough for dinner.  He looked at me with a sense of panic.  "I thought this was lunch!"  Whatever it was, it was more than enough.  Mark's parting words were a declaration that tomorrow he would be fasting.  He had just eaten dinner and breakfast.

The drive home was a series of moans about stomachs being too full interspersed with Chuck Norris jokes.  ("Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer.  Unfortunately, Chuck Norris never cries.")  At one point Mark asked for silence so he could say a "personal prayer so I won't feel sick".  I tried to explain to Mark that sometimes we just have to suffer the consequences of our bad decisions.  Braeden and Emma chided me for discouraging prayer.

Everyone is asleep now.  It's been an hour since we ate and no, I'm not hungry yet.  I'm left with a quiet house and my own thoughts to ponder the little words of wisdom we extracted from our fortune cookies.

"To truly listen, you must use your ears, not  your eyes."

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but as Braeden put it, "any dumb thing can sound wise if you just make it Chinesey."

Comments

Jennifer said…
Hilarious. It made me crave some good Chinese food though. I've never eaten at the restaurant in Wells... but I'm not sure I should. Good luck with the rest of the week.
Thelma said…
That all makes me feel rather ill but at least you didn't have corn dogs. I'll count my blessings.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.