Skip to main content

Stuff On My Mind

My mother joined us for dinner on Friday night.  After the kids went to bed, we sat in the family room discussing this and that.  I started talking about something I'd come across the other day when researching words that have crossed over into English from the Chinook Jargon—a trade language that developed in the Pacific Northwest.

Thelma commented that I know the strangest stuff and she has no idea where I get it from.  She told my mom how we had been visiting Vancouver earlier in the week to soak in the Olympic atmosphere.  As we were walking from the torch to the train station, we came across a small mass of people and cameras buzzing around somebody outside the media center.  We stopped to see who it was and I recognized the man at the center of the crowd as Gordon Campbell, the Premier of British Columbia.

"I don't know how he knows this stuff," Thelma said.

I couldn't tell if she was impressed or mocking me.  More than once, Thelma has reminded me that I can remember seemingly irrelevant points about irrelevant things, but I can't remember the names of all my cousins.

I guess my head is so full of stuff that I don't have room for it all.  So, in hopes of making room for another cousin's name in my mental rolodex, here's a list of stuff that has been on my mind lately.
  • The cot-caught merger.
  • Home turf advantage in the Olympics.
  • State education funding and the legislative process.
  • Live versus tape-delayed coverage of sporting events.
  • Proper mechanics when officiating a basketball game.
  • The conversion process.
  • A comparison of past Olympic pictograms.
  • Cemeteries in and around Appleton, Wisconsin.
  • The Levitical priesthood.
  • The tribe of Ephraim.
  • How to spend more time with my family.
  • When to fertilize next.
  • The correct concentration of weed killer.
  • Mother's Day.
...plus a bunch of other stuff I never seem to have enough time to finish thinking about. Maybe I'll write a blog post about some of it so I can make more room.

Comments

Thelma said…
I'm a little bit impressed, a little bit mock and roll (see what I did there?).

I ALWAYS love you though. My smart Yalie.
Olivia Cobian said…
I'm impressed you're thinking about Mother's Day already. Thelma should be too.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.