Skip to main content

Family History or Family Future?

Braeden has been bitten by the family history bug lately.  We spent a few hours this weekend signing him up for and exploring the new Family Search web site.  I haven't had much experience with the old site, but the new one feels fairly slick and isn't too hard to use.  It's a simple premise.  The site sits on top of a massive genealogical index maintained by the LDS Church.  You log into the site and enter your personal information.  Then you start building out your family tree one person and generation at a time.  If the person next in your tree is living, then you enter the personal information you know about that person.  If the person is dead, you search the index for a record of that person.  If you're lucky, the record of your ancestor will already be linked to other ancestors and your family tree will begin to fill in on its own.  You suddenly have access to the work of others and others can benefit from the connections and corrections you make.

You will come across mistakes and not all corrections are easy.  Thelma's great uncle, Shirley, is listed twice--once as a man and once as a woman.  He was born before Shirley Temple came on the scene and forever relegated Shirley to the long list of names taken over by girls.  Thelma has been trying to figure out how to restore his honor by correcting the mistake.

There are other tools to help you collaborate.  For example, I noticed that some of the details were missing for my great-great-grandfather George Ira Brewster. I have an interest in him because I was able to locate his grave a few years ago in Appleton, Wisconsin while on a business trip.  The new Family Search pointed out a possible duplicate record that had been created by my sister Morgan a number of years earlier.  It contains some of the missing detail about George such as a few of his daughters and the year he died.  I can now combine the two records.

It feels a little bit like Facebook or LinkedIn, only I'm adding relatives instead of friends.  I just hope I don't get a message one day saying that a long departed loved one has blocked or disowned me.

One thing the site is missing out on is a great marketing partnership.  Just below Braeden's name in his family tree is a link that says "Add or find a wife".  Why not link it up to eHarmony or LDS Singles Online?  I'd prefer, however, that the link not show up until he's at least 16 and old enough to date.

Comments

Emma said…
Braeden showed me some of his file. It looked fairly interesting.

Maybe sometime you could get one for me.
Olivia Cobian said…
I like the idea of dating while doing family history. Very time-efficient.
Robert Johnson said…
I should read your blog more Adam. I always enjoy it. M

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.