Skip to main content

The Price of Bliss

I'm nothing if not a humanitarian, so here's a bit of wisdom. It turns out that true bliss costs $100 plus gas.

I'm not talking about in-the-moment bliss like Whac-a-mole or just-passing-through Bliss like the town in Idaho or even temporary bliss like the 90 minutes after you've had really good Chinese food. I'm talking about lasting bliss. The kind of bliss you can still feel when you close your eyes at night. The kind you think about the next day—that gets better the more you think about it.

It's not true love, but it's a clear second.

Yesterday Thelma fell in love with the raw beauty of Lake Chelan. I fell in love with the raw power of a four-cylinder, 1052cc, 20-valve, 110-horsepower, liquid-cooled, wave-running dream machine. For five and a half hours, it was the only thing between me and the lake. Throw my boys on the back and I'm in liquid heaven.


I'm not exactly certain where my enthusiasm for wave runners originated. It must be a culmination of many things.

Part of it is the same high I got when I first learned to ride a bike. The freedom and speed and wind rushing against my face. The thrill I felt when I leaned into my first fast corner. The butterflies in my stomach as I raced over the old dirt roads weaving through the forest behind McCullom Park.

Part of it is my love affair with water. There must be something genetic in my affection. I don't remember not knowing how to swim. I was born in March and splashing in the pool at my parent's apartment by summer. Come June, my entire family would rather be at or in The River than just about anywhere else.

It's moving water I love best. I prefer swimming in a river to swimming in a lake, taking a shower to soaking in the tub, diving to floating.

Somehow all of these things come together in that machine—even rudimentary versions.

It must have been the summer of 1983 when my family took a vacation to the Okanogan region of north-central Washington and south-central British Columbia. I remember that trip for the day we spent at the water slide park in Penticton, BC, on Megan's fourth birthday. I remember riding in the canopied bed of a red Toyota pickup truck with a sorry excuse for foam pads as the only thing between me, my brothers and the ribbed metal floor. I remember the three of us squeezing our heads through the sliding window that separated the canopy from the cab so we could watch as the odometer turned over 100,00 miles while we were passing through a provincial park.

As much as all that, though, I remember standing on the shores of Lake Osoyoos with my dad watching in fascination as people propelled themselves through the water on motorized surfboards. It was also the first time I saw someone parasailing, but my imagination was captured by what must have been the primordial ancestors of the wave runner. For a brief moment my dad considered renting one. He made the mistake of verbalizing this idea. I must have become the world's biggest pest. I wanted so badly to try one.

You know, if I squint the eyes of my memories just right, I can convince myself that it's Braeden and I standing on the shores of that lake. I can hear Braeden begging for a ride. I can hear my mind saying "maybe some other time" but my heart pounding in protest. It must have been hard for my dad to tell me no.

Jump ahead 25 years. There's bliss again. And there's Mark standing on the shore as I'm getting ready to take Braeden for a ride. I look at his eager face and wonder-filled eyes. I see myself standing next to my dad staring out at the lake. How can I possibly pull away?

"Mark, get your life jacket! We can all go together."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.