Skip to main content

Angry Pasta

I feel cheated by the fascists over at Dahl Spice.  "Recipes from the Dahl Women."  Now why would they assume that the only recipes worth posting are those from the women?  While they've been fixated on strawberry pudding, strawberry salad, strawberry soup and strawberry power sharing schemes that don't involve the men, I've been whipping up some darn good grub.

I present Pasta all'Arrabbiata as my protest entry.  The term arrabbiata means "angry" in Italian.  This is pasta in the angry style.

There's really nothing sinister about it, though.  Arrabbiata sauce is angry because it traditionally includes simmered red chili peppers.  Some recipes call for chili flakes like the ones you find in pizzerias.  I like it with chilies, but I find yellow pepperoncini burn with a milder intensity while still infusing the sauce with a good flavor.  If my kids can handle it, so can you.

Here is what you need to gather:
  • 1 lb of chopped tomatoes.  I prefer to use roma tomotoes.  Select something fresh and ripe.  If you like, you can substitute diced tomatoes from a can, but I'd recommend letting them drain in a colander for a few minutes before you use them.
  • 4 or 5 pepperoncini.  Discard the stems and seeds.  Slice them in thin cross sections.  Be careful if you bought them packed in water.  The water on the inside has a tendency to spray in response to the first cut. 
  • 2 or 3 garlic cloves sliced.  Fresh garlic tastes better, but I keep a jar of minced garlic in the refrigerator because it's easier.  If you're like me, use 1 or 2 tablespoons of minced garlic in place of the fresh cloves. 
  • 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
  • 6 fresh basil leaves.  A few tablespoons of dried basil will work also, but it has less flavor and seems to change the texture of the sauce somewhat.
  • 1 lb of pasta.  Penne pasta works the best.  The ridged tubes do a good job of holding the sauce.  Any pasta will do, however.  I typically use spaghetti because that is what I have on hand. 
Once you have your ingredients gathered and prepared...
  1. In a frying pan, sauté and stir the peppers in olive oil over medium heat for a minute or two.
  2. Add the garlic and stir another few seconds.  This is Braeden's favor step because the smells really start to blend.
  3. Add the tomatoes.
  4. Tear up half of the basil leaves and add them as well.
  5. Let the mixture simmer on medium to medium-low heat.  Leave the pan uncovered.
  6. After about 10 minutes, coarsely mash the tomatoes.
  7. Let the mixture simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes as it becomes more paste like.
  8. Tear and add the rest of the basil when the sauce is done.
  9. Toss the sauce with your cooked pasta.
  10. If you prefer, top the dish with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
There are variations on the above that different people prefer.  The first time I had penne all'arrabbiata it included clams and red chilies.  I ordered it from room service when I was working late one night at a hotel in London.  I liked it so much I ordered it again the next night.  It's become something of a staple on my trips now.

After one trip I decided to try and make it for my family from what we had on hand.  I didn't have clams or red chilies.  I used large shrimp instead of clams.  The pepperoncini stood in for the red chilies' heat, but I also added sweet red peppers for the visual effect.

The sweet red pepper or red bell pepper can be added at the same time as the pepperoncini in the recipe above.  The shrimp (or clams) should be added at the very end.  Let them stew just long enough to cook, for raw shrimp, or heat through, for cooked shrimp.  

Frozen shrimp have a tendency to add undesired water to the sauce.  You'll get better results if you thaw and dry the shrimp first.  I run the frozen shrimp under warm water in a colander until they are thawed.  Then I either pat them dry with a towel or pull the water away with a salad spinner.

If you want to use clams, you can dump in drained clam meat at the end.  I prefer to use steamed clams that are still in the shell.

Comments

Sounds like heaven! Maybe they should consider letting you in...I mean with this recipe, who could deny you?!

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.