Skip to main content

All of the Above

I was looking forward to reading Senator Obama's acceptance speech at the covention on Thursday night. I made a conscious decision not to watch the speech because I didn't want to be distracted by the pomp and spectacle. Thelma was watching it when I got home from work, though, so I decided to stick with it.

I haven't gone back to look at the transcript yet. My immediate impressions after watching it? I felt like I was watching multiple people. On the negative side, there was the doom and gloom Obama predicting the end of the American dream if he wasn't elected. There was the ridiculous Obama insisting his candidacy is somehow a selfless act. There was the naive or disingenuous Obama claiming he could somehow pay for his giveaways by pruning government.

On the other hand, there was the Obama who argued for more personal responsibility. There was the aggressive Obama willing to challenge his critics directly. There was the ambitious Obama declaring that we could be free of our dependency on foreign oil within ten years. There was the pragmatic Obama talking about middle ground on topics like gun control and abortion.

If I vote for Obama, which Obama am I voting for? Which Obama is running for office?

All of the above.

That's the way politicians want it. They want to be as many people as possible so voters are more likely to find a version they like. Never mind that the different versions may be incompatible or inconsistent. Most voters are already convinced that one political party is good and the other is bad. They just scratch the surface of the party they like long enough to find a version of their candidate that makes them comfortable.

This isn't unique to politics. People who have things to sell discovered this many years earlier. It's called segmenting the market. GM figured this out when it came to selling cars. By developing multiple brands that appealed to smaller segments of the market, they appealed to a broader market overall.

Generic brands are another example. Name brand manufacturers sell lower priced generic versions of their products under different names because they know this will let them capture sales from two market segments instead of one: people who buy generic brands and people who are willing to pay more for a name brand.

What makes Senator Obama unique in this election is that he has managed to segment the market while still avoiding the issues in any detail. He can pull this off because of his three great advantages: the power of his personality, his skills as an orator and his position as a viable minority candidate. All of these things make him feel different to different people in different ways. People want a change and he feels like one. He doesn't have to get into the issues in order to convince people that he is worth supporting.

Back to the original question, though. Which Obama is running for office? In the end, it doesn't really matter. What matters is which one will show up. That's where a history of taking a stance on the issues really matters. Unfortunately, that's also where Obama is the weakest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.