Skip to main content

The Price of Bliss

I'm nothing if not a humanitarian, so here's a bit of wisdom. It turns out that true bliss costs $100 plus gas.

I'm not talking about in-the-moment bliss like Whac-a-mole or just-passing-through Bliss like the town in Idaho or even temporary bliss like the 90 minutes after you've had really good Chinese food. I'm talking about lasting bliss. The kind of bliss you can still feel when you close your eyes at night. The kind you think about the next day—that gets better the more you think about it.

It's not true love, but it's a clear second.

Yesterday Thelma fell in love with the raw beauty of Lake Chelan. I fell in love with the raw power of a four-cylinder, 1052cc, 20-valve, 110-horsepower, liquid-cooled, wave-running dream machine. For five and a half hours, it was the only thing between me and the lake. Throw my boys on the back and I'm in liquid heaven.


I'm not exactly certain where my enthusiasm for wave runners originated. It must be a culmination of many things.

Part of it is the same high I got when I first learned to ride a bike. The freedom and speed and wind rushing against my face. The thrill I felt when I leaned into my first fast corner. The butterflies in my stomach as I raced over the old dirt roads weaving through the forest behind McCullom Park.

Part of it is my love affair with water. There must be something genetic in my affection. I don't remember not knowing how to swim. I was born in March and splashing in the pool at my parent's apartment by summer. Come June, my entire family would rather be at or in The River than just about anywhere else.

It's moving water I love best. I prefer swimming in a river to swimming in a lake, taking a shower to soaking in the tub, diving to floating.

Somehow all of these things come together in that machine—even rudimentary versions.

It must have been the summer of 1983 when my family took a vacation to the Okanogan region of north-central Washington and south-central British Columbia. I remember that trip for the day we spent at the water slide park in Penticton, BC, on Megan's fourth birthday. I remember riding in the canopied bed of a red Toyota pickup truck with a sorry excuse for foam pads as the only thing between me, my brothers and the ribbed metal floor. I remember the three of us squeezing our heads through the sliding window that separated the canopy from the cab so we could watch as the odometer turned over 100,00 miles while we were passing through a provincial park.

As much as all that, though, I remember standing on the shores of Lake Osoyoos with my dad watching in fascination as people propelled themselves through the water on motorized surfboards. It was also the first time I saw someone parasailing, but my imagination was captured by what must have been the primordial ancestors of the wave runner. For a brief moment my dad considered renting one. He made the mistake of verbalizing this idea. I must have become the world's biggest pest. I wanted so badly to try one.

You know, if I squint the eyes of my memories just right, I can convince myself that it's Braeden and I standing on the shores of that lake. I can hear Braeden begging for a ride. I can hear my mind saying "maybe some other time" but my heart pounding in protest. It must have been hard for my dad to tell me no.

Jump ahead 25 years. There's bliss again. And there's Mark standing on the shore as I'm getting ready to take Braeden for a ride. I look at his eager face and wonder-filled eyes. I see myself standing next to my dad staring out at the lake. How can I possibly pull away?

"Mark, get your life jacket! We can all go together."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+