Skip to main content

Song of the Week: "Little Boy Blue"

To celebrate the first leg (view map) of our 2-day, 400-mile whirlwind of a family vacation to Lake Chelan, it's time for a road trip song. The song of the week is "Little Boy Blue (North of North Dakota)" from Jake Armerding's self-titled album. It was the last song I added to the iPod before hitting the open road this morning.

Now, the lyrics may not fit the scene perfectly. June. North of North Dakota. But the sentiment is all there.

Got myself a debit card, little bit of cash
Petty on the speakers and I'm beating on the dash
Daddy was a highway, Mama was a view
I'm a little boy blue

After dinner tonight I went night swimming with the kids in the pool. Braeden asked each of us what the best part of today had been. Mark and Emma named various things we had seen. For me, it was just spending time with Thelma.

I'm a little bit of highway, shiny with the dew
little bit of summertime, sitting next to you
Never had a reason, never had a clue
just a little boy blue

Few things can compete with the open road when Thelma's by my side and the music is playing. I know the cardinal rule is to keep your hands at 10 and 2. It's so much better, though, when my left hand's at 6 and my right hand is in Thelma's.

She was looking so phenomenal, what was I to do
I crumpled up the gas receipt and stuck it in my shoe
Never had a reason, never had a clue
just a little boy blue

I'm not sure we ever managed to get Petty on the speakers. Thelma started going through the songs beginning with "A". My favorite Tom Petty song, "Wildflowers", never had a chance.

The way "Little Boy Blue" personifies the highway has me thinking about the faux folk song "Never Did No Wanderin'" from the movie A Mighty Wind. (A must see movie especially if you like folk music, humorous lyrics and improvisational acting. Think This is Spinal Tap meets Peter, Paul and Mary.)

My mama was the cold North wind,
My daddy was the son, of a railroad man from west of hell,
Where the trains don't even run...

No I, never did not wanderin'
Never did not wanderin' after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+