Skip to main content

Off the Wagon

This is day 53 of dieting and I finally fell off the wagon.

I was doing so well up until this point.  There have been frustrating times.  Times when it would have been easy to bury my stress beneath a mound of flap jacks or in a giant bowl of chow mein.  Times when I could have given into the siren song of humus or the cold indulgence of ice cream.  I've stared awkwardly at fruit.  I've dreamt of chocolate lava cakes. But I had persevered until this evening.  And I have—or used to have, rather—twenty seven pounds to show for it.

Cumulative Weight Loss:


No one's perfect. I get that. It's just how I fell off the wagon that bothers me. I was pushed off by this guy:

"Little Caesar!?  Really?  The creepy little purveyor of bad pizza?"

I know.  What can I say?  He got me.  I didn't intend for it to happen. I can't believe it myself.  I've had so many opportunities to cheat.  So many better alternatives than a slice that makes it hard to determine where the crust ends and the cardboard box begins.

Don't get me wrong.  I love pizza.  Pizza has an elemental quality in my life.  I orient myself to pizza restaurants.  Need directions?  I'll can tell you how to get there based on the pizza restaurants you'll pass.  I'll eat pizza from anywhere.  The day before I started my diet, I had a slice of pizza at ten in the morning from the Flying J truck stop in Wells, Nevada.  It was good, because it was pizza.

Thelma used to have a quotation hanging on our refrigerator door.  "Life is like pizza.  Even when it's bad it's good."  And it's true, but a slice from Little Caesars is not worth the fall off the wagon.  Not when I've said "no" so faithfully to Alfy's or Zeke's or Tutta Bella or Brooklyn Brothers.  It's like saying no to a bunch of cute girls who want to take you to a school dance and then you show up anyway with your cousin.  Maybe she can dance, but it's your cousin.

See, even my metaphors are messed up after my fall.  Ordinarily, I would have come up with a witty pizza metaphor.  Tasty and germane.

How did it finally happen?  In a moment of thoughtlessness.  Braeden had four friends from school over this evening to watch movies and eat pizza.  When you're dealing with teenage boys (or Mark), quantity is more important than quality.  Thus Little Caesars.  Four large pizzas, four liters of soda, 16 breadsticks and I'm only out $30.  (Plus I can pick up Showering Rama at the Thai Place next door for Thelma's more refined palette.)  So, the pizza was just sitting there on the counter and without even thinking I picked up a slice and started to eat it.

Who knows how it will affect my diet?  There's probably some massive rearrangement of my body chemistry going on inside of me right now and I'm going to wake up 15 pounds heavier, one leg will be swollen and my bathroom towel will smell like pepperoni after I take a shower.  I'll have to detox with oat bran shooters and an intravenous drip of V8.

If that doesn't work and I'm back to a more robust and bruised figure, then perhaps I'll flee to the stage and resurrect myself as a Shakespearean actor.
Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep o' nights.
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
(Julius Caesar, Act 1, Scene 2)

Comments

Thelma said…
I love you. You make me laugh.

And you are an EXCELLENT writer.

(really)
Olivia Cobian said…
You are hilarious, Adam! I hope the pizza didn't do too much damamge.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.