Skip to main content

In the Dog House

"I'll be fast," she just said. "It doesn't take me long to be eloquent."

Thelma is writing a blog as we speak. She is itching to get something out. I can guess what it is.

We just returned from dinner with my parents and siblings to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday. Thelma and I walked into the Olive Garden lobby a fashionable ten minutes late at 6:40. My brothers had been there since 6:00. By the time we arrived, the natives were already restless. By seven o'clock the situation was becoming dire. We had been told repeatedly that a big party was getting ready to leave and we couldn't be seated until they had left. Meanwhile, numerous smaller parties were coming and going all around us. At 7:15, my brothers told me I needed to go deal with the situation as the oldest. I did my best to make the host and hostess uncomfortable about the situation. When that didn't help, I asked to speak to the manager.

Restaurant or retail managers don't always bring out the best in me. Sometimes I can be very cool and collected. Other times, not so much.

I remember going on a date with Thelma once. We took the ferry to Whidbey Island. It was a stormy day with very few people out and about. We ventured to the west side of the island where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets the Puget Sound. The wind was pumelling the shore with giants waves and thowing sea spray across the road. The sky was dark and foreboding.

For a storm lover like me, it was a perfect night. Then it happened. The Dog House.

The Dog House is a tavern/dining room in Langley. It's one of the those places that is supposed to be so alive with character that the food can't help but taste good. The New York Times has described the Dog House like this:

"On the waterfront, the Dog House tavern — the Dog as it’s called by locals — seems to have enjoyed as many lives as a cat: a general store; a high school gymnasium; a site for vaudeville shows, silent movies, dance classes and, perhaps most improbably, meetings of a ladies’ temperance society. Today, it seems like the kind of place where you might encounter many a salty dog."

What you won't encounter is good food. My meal was a dog. The clam chowder had frozen chunks floating in it. My fish tacos were cold. My temper was high. If they could have tapped into my rage, they could have run the defective microwave they had obviously used to prepare my meal. I refused to pay for it. I was angry. I was argumentative. My reaction would have made quite a scene but there was no one else in the restaurant. Just Thelma, the waitress and the manager. We could have brought the cook out to join the party, but I don't think they actually had one on site that night.

Whether or not I ultimately paid full price, I don't recall. I just remember the rage.

Tonight, thankfully, was a different story. It was the calm, cool, collected me that asked to speak with the manager at the Olive Garden. The host we had been harassing with questions of "how much longer" went to find him for me. Even that took some time. After a pass or two through the restaurant, he came to tell me that he was having trouble finding him, but there was one more place he could look. I saw him duck into the men's bathroom. A few moments later the manager emerged looking a bit hurried.

I shook his hand and told him my name. (Perhaps the hand shake was a bad idea. Just how hurried was he coming out of the restroom?) I nicely explained that we had been waiting 75 minutes to get a seat. I told him how it didn't appear they valued our business. I told him the effusive apologies were appreciated, but really didn't do anything to help the situation.

About that time one of my brothers came over to say he had found another place that would seat us right away. My other brother approached the manager.

"Thanks a lot for making us wait two hours."

"I'm very sorry, sir."

"Shut up."

My brother won't win any awards for eloquence or conflict resolution, but his contribution wasn't all bad. I was the good cop. He was the bad cop. The manager was much more willing to see things my way knowing that I was keeping an angry mob at bay.

The rest of the family left. I asked the manager what he could do to help make things up to my mother. He came back with a nice gift card. I smiled, told him I appreciated the gesture and thanked him and his staff for at least being courteous with us.

I left the restaurant feeling pretty good about myself for keeping my cool and getting some cash out of the situation. Then I thought, "Where did everyone go?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.