Skip to main content

Another Fifteen Minutes

I was under strict orders from Thelma last night to come straight home with Braeden after Scouts. No dillying. No dallying. (Yes, I know "dillying" is not a word, but it should be.) I had every intention of being obedient when I set out from the Church. I let Colin Park ride in the front. Braeden sullenly slouched in the back seat because I had presumably ignored his cries of "shotgun" on the way to the van. I let Braeden move to the front after we dropped Colin off, but I let him know that his reaction was out of line.

"Colin is older than you, he was our guest, 'shotgun' is not a binding legal contract..." And so forth.

"But Dad, I just was looking forward to the two of us being together for a little while."

I felt more than minor pangs of guilt. Here it was, about 8:30 in the evening, and I had given Braeden my undivided attention for about the seven minutes it takes to drive to the church building. That was all.

That has been the case more and more lately. I'm either out the door before anyone is awake in the morning (as was the case today) or I spend a late night on the phone and sleep in until Thelma and the kids have already started school. Most nights I get home so late that we have time for little more than dinner and the bedtime routine of pajamas, brushing, scriptures and prayer.

Back to Braeden and my predicament. We were only three or four blocks from the house. I decided to risk the wrath of Thelma. I drove past our turn and continued into the cul-de-sac that marks the dead end of our neighborhood. Braeden looked at me in puzzlement.

"What are you doing?"

"I wonder how many homes are for sale in Pinehurst?"

Braeden smiled.

"There's one. There's two."

By the way, there are fully eleven homes for sale in Pinehurst. Braeden and I counted them all. It took about 15 extra minutes. That is a 200% increase in "quality" time. Of course, Thelma wanted to know what took us so long when we came strolling up the stairs at 8:45. I interrupted Braeden's response and sent him off to get ready for bed before a fuller explanation could confirm how crazy I am.

With Braeden brushing his teeth and Thelma back to either planning school or Christmas, I made my way into kiss Mark good night.

"Dad, do you remember when Braeden was little and you laid in his bed and you used to tell him bed time stories? I was wondering if you could tell me some stories? Like maybe tonight?"

I felt more than minor pangs of guilt.

"Mark, you're right. I should tell you bed time stories. It's too late tonight, but let's do it tomorrow night, OK? I'll make up a funny story for you. How does that sound?"

Mark smiled.

A few minutes after nine o'clock this morning Mark called me at work to remind me about the bed time stories. He hadn't seen me leave for work and he was afraid I had forgotten about our appointment. I hadn't. I looked forward to it all day.

At 8:30 or so this evening I was ready to begin. Mark was tucked in his bed next to me. Braeden heard us getting started and came tearing into the room to listen from his bed. Emma was close behind asking if she could stay for the story. I put them both under a vow of silence. This, afterall, was Mark's story. They had had their turns when they were younger.

It wasn't long though until we were all laughing at our silly interpretation of the Three Little Pigs. I'd say things like, "And do you know what happened next?" or "Now what do you think that wolf did?" Then I tried to weave their ideas into the story. I believe we came up with a thoroughly unique telling. When else has the story of Three Little Pigs concluded with a hygienically rehabilitated wolf protecting his porcine companions from a pack of demented squirrels.

An extra fifteen minutes on Wednesday night with Braeden. Another fifteen tonight with Mark. It felt great to be a Dad again.

Comments

Thelma said…
Aren't we all lucky to have you and Scratchy the Wolf and his rehabilitated Slick Willie self? The fact that your children clamor to your side indicates the kind of dad you are...a very good one.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.