Skip to main content

Mowing the Lawn

I announced at dinner this evening that I had created a blog. In near unison, everyone asked me what it was named.

"Mowing grass, with a hyphen. All the other names were taken."

Thelma started to laugh. She was imagining a scenario where Blogger had run out of names and I had somehow been saddled with "mowing grass" (with a hyphen) as the only available option.

(I've since changed the name from "mowing-grass" to "mowing the lawn".)

Why "mowing the lawn"? I'm not entirely sure. It has something to do with my strange obsession with having a nice lawn and my fondness for mowing. I love to mow the lawn. I like to mow other people's lawn. I like lawn mowers. I like trying to figure out the most efficient path or pattern by which to mow the yard. I like the uniform lines. I like the evenly trimmed blades of grass. I mow over each section of lawn two or three times before I'm done.

I like to sit on lawn mowers at the hardware store. I look forward to my dad going out of town so I can mow his lawn with his riding mower. (He has these noise blocking headphones with a built-in AM radio. Talk radio and mowing at the same time!)

When I was a kid, I used to beg Alan Kittleman to ride his ATV in the woods behind his house because I knew it meant I could cruise the same trails on his dad's rebuilt lawnmower. The lawnmower had two speeds—turtle and rabbit—named for the animals that were capable of passing you at each speed. Still, it was freedom and power in one beautiful machine.

The last few summers I've returned from business trips to London only to find a dry brown lawn waiting for me. I would mope around for days, mourning the loss. I'd dream of Fall when the weather cools, the rains come and grass starts to grow again.

This year, I'm on cloud nine. Not only did Thelma manage to keep the damage at bay when I was in London in June, but our lawn has actually grown in size as a result of the new road and nine new lots that were put in last summer.

The new lots across the street don't have homes on them yet. They're nothing but grass. It's all I can do to keep from crossing the street with my lawnmower to mow the fields. I finally gave in to the siren call on Friday. Having just finished mowing (and remowing) my own yard, I pushed the lawnmower across the street to see what kind of damage I could do. There was no way I could mow it all before the day was out, so I decided to carve something of a maze into it.

No sooner had I finished than my breathing became constricted and my eyes began to water and itch. It turns out I'm allergic to the field grass. That's what I get for getting carried away. It serves me right for not being satisfied with my own yard.

I'm sure there is some kind of deep metaphor in there. I'll have to figure it out later. Right now I need to go move the sprinkler.

Comments

Thelma said…
“Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence.”

by Hal Borland


There is something really appealing about a man who knows how to keep a beautiful lawn.

I love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f

Three Wonders

I know the tradition began earlier, but I associate it with the Carmen Red Oldsmobile station wagon. There was also the Toyota van, but the Oldsmobile days were the magic ones. Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we would literally go. (Also through the valley, past the waterfalls, over the hill, and along the lake.) Neilan family Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The house where my mom was raised, where aunts, uncles, and cousins were just a few houses or blocks away. The two story house where on any ordinary day you entered directly into the kitchen, sat at the kitchen table, and just listened to my mom and her parents talk as an assortment of her brothers would inevitably call or stop by. But on Christmas Eve, the house was already packed to the brim with family, presents, food, and laughter. So much laughter. It was a wonderland as a child to be surrounded by people who loved you and were excited to see you. The house was warm and the large w

Block Facebook Ads with CSS

(This is my experience evaluating Facebook for my daughter.  It turned into a technical exercise in CSS.  If you want the full narrative, read on.  If you just want the steps for using CSS to block ads on Facebook, jump ahead .) Emma asked permission to create a Facebook account so she can keep in touch with some of her cousins and friends.  Emma has been very responsible using our family computer and does a good job keeping our rules about what to do and how to behave online.  So, Thelma and I decided that it was probably OK once I had a chance to check out and become familiar with the privacy settings and parental controls. Even though I work for an online business and Facebook is a frequent topic of conversation when it comes to reaching out to and retaining online customers, I have to admit that I have rarely used the service.  I created an account for business purposes to become a "fan" of a client so I could keep tabs on some social marketing campaigns.  That's it.