Skip to main content

Scout Camp 2011

I just returned this evening from three nights of camping with Braeden and the 14-15 year old boys from our ward.  Officially, it was a high adventure.  The cliffs and trees and bridges off of which they jumped were high.  Mt. Constitution was high.  But it was probably the most laid back high adventure I've been part of.  Sun and swimming with a smattering of hiking and biking thrown in for good measure.


Thankfully, the food was not a high adventure.  The boys have been well tutored in the art of camp site cooking by a series of culinary campers from Eric "Fajitas" Jorgensen to Keven "Steak and Broccoli" Jackson; and now on to Brother Jensen.  (Kudos to Brother Jensen for bringing the full compliment of condiments from for some seriously good burgers.)

I've posted the pictures from the week here.  For parents who are interested, my web albums also have photos from Scout Camp 2010 and Scout Camp 2009.

I've also posted a few videos on YouTube and embedded them below.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...