Skip to main content

Chinesey

Day 1 in the books as a single parent while Thelma is away at BYU for her yearly pilgrimage to Women's Conference.  Traditionally, life without Mom has meant an orgy of fast food and takeout.  No sooner had I dropped Thelma and my mother off at the airport then Braeden was calling me to see what I had planned for lunch.

"I was thinking we could go to the Grand China Buffet," he suggested in his sweetest voice.

I'm determined that this year will be different, though.  We aren't going to eat out every meal.  We're going to make our best attempt at cooking for ourselves, controlling our portions and choosing (moderately) healthy ingredients.  That's our plan and we're sticking to it... starting tomorrow.

Tonight, it was the Grand China Buffet after all.  Braeden speaks of it in reverent tones.  Eight tables of Chinese and American food plus a Mongolian grill and sushi bar.  He must have been playing it up behind the scenes because Emma and Mark were giddy like Christmas morning as we left for swim practice—an inconvenient pit stop, as they viewed it, on our way to what I heard someone in the back seat call the Terrestrial Kingdom of food.  There are a lot of motivations for obeying God's commandments and seeking heaven.  Apparently, my children are motivated by the menu.  (Are there free refills in Eternity?)  Thankfully, their gastro-theology leaves room for more refined dining.

Braeden was too busy stuffing his face to say much during our meal.  He did come up for air long enough to try some sushi.  He managed to keep it down, which is more than I was able to do.  I want to like sushi, I really do.  But I can't quite suppress the gag reflex when that seaweed flavor kicks in.

Emma was proud of her healthy choices—salad, fruit, vegetables, small portions—although I'm not sure you're allowed to be so self-congratulatory after plate number nine.  Still, she was determined to have something healthy on every plate.  Her desert plate consisted of chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, jello, a brownie and—wait for the healthy part—a single grape the size of a small plum.

Mark is never without words and appreciation for food.  He tried some new things.  He discovered that he does not like coconut shrimp but does enjoy sucking clams right out of the shell.  At one point he looked at me with a chow mein noodle dangling off his wide grin and said, "What if I was eating this while I was laying in bed and playing Lego Star Wars and a robot would just put food in my mouth and I would eat it.  That would be awesome."

I started to get worried when he was going to get a few more grapes and instead came back with a plate full of jello and a cheeseburger.  (The fact that I wasn't worried any sooner should tell you all you need to know about the quality of my parenting.)  I told him that he had probably had enough for dinner.  He looked at me with a sense of panic.  "I thought this was lunch!"  Whatever it was, it was more than enough.  Mark's parting words were a declaration that tomorrow he would be fasting.  He had just eaten dinner and breakfast.

The drive home was a series of moans about stomachs being too full interspersed with Chuck Norris jokes.  ("Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer.  Unfortunately, Chuck Norris never cries.")  At one point Mark asked for silence so he could say a "personal prayer so I won't feel sick".  I tried to explain to Mark that sometimes we just have to suffer the consequences of our bad decisions.  Braeden and Emma chided me for discouraging prayer.

Everyone is asleep now.  It's been an hour since we ate and no, I'm not hungry yet.  I'm left with a quiet house and my own thoughts to ponder the little words of wisdom we extracted from our fortune cookies.

"To truly listen, you must use your ears, not  your eyes."

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but as Braeden put it, "any dumb thing can sound wise if you just make it Chinesey."

Comments

Jennifer said…
Hilarious. It made me crave some good Chinese food though. I've never eaten at the restaurant in Wells... but I'm not sure I should. Good luck with the rest of the week.
Thelma said…
That all makes me feel rather ill but at least you didn't have corn dogs. I'll count my blessings.

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+