Skip to main content

Enthusidaisitude

Thelma claimed recently that I'm "just as lackadaisical" as she is when it comes to ensuring our children have good oral hygiene.

Phooey!

On a scale of 1 to 100, where 1 is lackadaisical and 100 is totally enthusidaisical, Thelma is a 4. I'm a 7, easy. Seven and a half, probably. That's almost twice the enthusidaisitude, which of course means I only need to worry about my kids brushing their teeth half as often as Thelma.

(I know. Enthusidaisical is not technically a word. Yet.)

Besides, I don't even like teeth. I mean, I like the purpose they serve. No one wants to gum a steak or drink a margarita pizza through a straw. But teeth are a source of physical and emotional pain.

There. I said it. My teeth hurt my feelings sometimes. They have no sense of propriety. No self restraint. They just pop out one day and shove other teeth around in the process. One day you're a cute little kid. The next day you're a freak of nature with two ivory dominoes jutting out below your lip. And it's not as though they're going to go away any time soon. You're stuck with them and you're stuck looking awkward.

It's like a skinny seven-year-old kid showing up at school one day wearing his fat uncle Leo's hip waiters. They don't fit. They don't look natural. They don't look good. They won't look good until the kid starts to look like Leo.

How did the dentist put it?

"Don't worry. You'll grow into your teeth."

Boy. That sure put me at ease. Why didn't he just ride the school bus and call me Bucky Mormon with all of the other kids?

So, I figure I'm doing pretty well to muster up 7% effort. I have demons to deal with.

Comments

I liked this blog post a lot, but I'm going to comment on your earlier one with tips about Disneyland on it. I was afraid that if I commented down there you would never notice. When you talked about the tortilla factory it made me laugh. My dad got so excited about it when he saw it on the map when we were there. He dragged us all the wasy across the park so we could go to it. He got really into it. It was good though. I liked it more than I thought I would.

By the way. I think that someone should print out your handy Disneyland tip list and take it to Disneyland. It is great.

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...