Skip to main content

The Devil Wears a Khaki Shirt

Note:  A selection of photos from Day 3 are posted in my Picasa public gallery.

As a missionary I learned to warn people that as soon as they began to feel God's spirit more fully in their life, they could also be sure that temptation and trial were just around the corner.  One follows the other.  Light and dark.  Good and evil.  Chocolate and Kraft macaroni and cheese.

So, I should have figured that something would come along and try to spoil my fun now that I'm a full three days into this vacation.  It happened tonight.  I saw hell.  It looks like a rainforest, the food is overpriced and the waiters are dressed in khaki.  Thankfully, I managed to buy my escape for $65 plus tip.

The Rainforest Cafe may seem like a nice place to eat, but I've said the same thing about KFC on occasion.  That doesn't make it right.  The food was OK.  I had a mild paella with muscles, calamari, shrimp and andouille sausage.  Unfortunately, I was sitting across from a pair of animatronic elephants that had the uncanny habit of trumpeting every time the waiter talked to me.  Do you have any idea the level of auditory distortion that creates?

"Welcome to the Rainforest Cafe.  Have you been here before?"

"Diet Coke."

Besides, it's impossible to enjoy your meal when a robotic elephant keeps giving you the evil eye.

Thankfully, Providence doesn't dish out opposition in equal measure.  By and large, today was another fabulous day.  Disneyland on your birthday with your family at your side and a pocket full of fast pass tickets for bypassing the lines.  What's not to love.

I only wish I had picked up a present or card or cake (or anything) for Thelma to celebrate her birthday.  (Yes, we share a birthday.)  Gifts are one of her love languages.  She'll tell you that this trip is present enough and we agreed not to give gifts, but I should have known better.  She would have liked a little something.  She's asleep now along with everyone else.  I just returned from Albertson's where I purchased lunch items for tomorrow.  I picked up a small container of roasted red pepper humus and pita chips with her in mind.  Nothing quite says "I love you" and "I should have been more thoughtful" than a small tub of humus.  

(Ladies, please let me know if you'd like me to share some of my romance tips with your husbands.  The advice is free.)

As for me, what else could I possibly want for my birthday?  I'm more wildly in love with Thelma than ever.  I have three wonderful children.  I come home to a house full of passion, art, learning and laughter.  I'm a blessed man.  It's enough for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+