Skip to main content

Welcome to Mayne Street

What is the funniest show you are not watching on television? Mayne Street. It's an ESPN production, it's not about sports, episodes are about four minutes long and it's only available online.

The web series stars Kenny Mayne as himself: an oddball sports reporter whose dry wit makes him seem more suited for a good British sitcom than SportsCenter. You can subscribe to the video podcast, but you'll find a nice set of extras at the ESPN.com video page for the show. Here's one such extra introducing the cast of characters.



Kenny Mayne came to fame in the late 90s when his humorous style of describing the daily sports highlights began to upstage the actual events. While other sports anchors might describe a homerun by saying a player "hit one deep", Kenny Mayne was saying things like, "Your puny ballparks are too small to contain my gargantuan blasts! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses for a clubhouse feast!"

He has talent and humor to spare, but ESPN hasn't known what to do with him. His most recent roles have been doing offbeat NFL features and hosting ESPN's horse racing coverage. All that feels like a waste. This new idea of turning Kenny Mayne into the show itself may be just the thing. I can get my Kenny Mayne fix and don't have to endure professional athletes in the process.

If you like what you see, you may want to check out Sports Night on DVD. It aired for two seasons on ABC from 1998 - 2000. It's groundbreaking television by Aaron Sorkin. Each episode fits in a 30-minute slot, but you can't really call it a sitcom. It's more of a comedy/drama that is character driven. No laugh track. Quick dialogue. Romance. Smart. Thelma put me onto it, so you know it's good and it's not about sports. A lot of the style and even some of the cast of Sports Night ended up in Sorkin's next show: The West Wing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...