Skip to main content

Where to Go with a Week to Go

My habitual clock is telling me that I'll be getting on a plane tomorrow morning to head back home. My calendar, though, reminds me that I still have six days to go. My heart, caught in the middle, is heavy.

So are my eyelids. I'll wake tomorrow to a full weekend to myself in one of the world's great cities. I should be out and about. I'll probably just sleep.

Maybe this time will be better. I've spent a few weekends in London on past trips. With all of the work there is to do on these trips and the difficulty of adjusting to a drastically new time zone, I'm usually too sleep deprived come the weekend to do anything but sleep.

This week has been a little different. I'm still working 14+ hours a day, but I've managed to get at least five or six hours sleep each evening.

So, where to go on the morrow? I can always do the tried and true. The British Museum. St. Paul's. Walk from Hyde Park to Green Park to Buckingham Palace. The Tate Modern. The National Gallery.

Ah, the gallery. Something about the National Gallery reminds me of Thelma. Maybe it's the aesthetics or passion of the place. I'm drawn there every time I visit this city. I've stolen time out of the day on occasion just to drop in for a few minutes.

It was hot and muggy the first time I visited. It must have been Labor Day weekend or thereabouts in 2005. The air in the gallery was warm and still. The sound of a thousand tourists waving their collection guides as fans created an undertone of discontent. Hot and tired, I turned a corner looking for a place to sit. I found this instead:

I was immediately overcome. I felt cool. I felt a breeze. I staggered backwards to a bench just opposite the painting where I sat and stared. People crossed between me and the painting, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It felt distant and familiar.

After eventually reading the descriptive placard, I realized why I felt the way I did. The subject is Lake Keitele, one of 187,888 lakes in Finland. More than once on my mission to Finland I stood on the shores of similar lakes staring out at the water, trees, clouds and sky.

Look at the horizon in the painting. If you've been to Finland, you know those are clouds, not mountains, rising above the trees.

The artist is Akseli Gallen-Kallela. One of my prized possessions is his illustrated version of Kalevala, the Finnish national epic.

So, perhaps tomorrow I'll head off to the National Gallery to visit an old friend. Then again, it is already 2:50 in the morning. Maybe I'll just sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Graduate School

I have been thinking a lot about my father this week. On Monday I helped Braeden and Anna move all of their belongings out of Deleward and into a moving truck bound for Woodland, CA where Braeden starts graduate school at nearby UC Davis next month. As I walked from the truck parked on 400 East across the lawn and up the stairs, my mind flashed back to 24 years earlier when I was moving out of the same apartment building, walking across the same grass, and loading up my own moving truck with the help of my dad.  Braeden was just eight months old at the time. I can still see him sitting in the grass with my dad, Thelma, and cheap-enough-that-we-could-afford-it pizza and bread sticks from Sounds Easy. It meant everything to have my dad there with me. Looking back on it I realize that Thelma was the real star. I was working right up to the very end. As with all of our moves, she did the bulk of the packing and planning. I was just the muscle. I was nervous about moving from Provo, Uta...

Craving

A list of things I'm craving: Something interesting to design A veggie sandwich on great bread that's too big to eat Chocolate chip cookies Riding a wave runner until my body aches Pizza, any shape, any quality Basketball season A solution to my landscaping dilemmas Another month of summer A way to easily hang bicycles from a 16-foot ceiling A compelling reason to use Google+

Driving East

I will wake up tomorrow morning, on Father’s Day, alone in Cheyenne without my family. I say this matter-of-factly. Designated days have only a light hold on me. An unexpected business trip that means being gone on Father’s Day? No problem. I'm not much for ceremony. More than once we have marked Father’s Day by splurging for a hotdog at Costco while filling up the minivan on a road trip. (Surely, Cheyenne has a Costco.) If I wake up emotional tomorrow morning, it's not because I'm alone on Father’s Day. It will be because of the cocktail of emotions I drank today. —— Driving across Wyoming was beautiful. Everything below the horizon looked groomed and green. The grass, the hills. the forests. A sea of green dusted with flecks of distant snowfields and antelope. (So many antelope.) Above the horizon, wild white and stormy black scratched across brilliant blue. The kind of sea and sky that softens your heart and tricks your mind.  I pulled off the highway at Little America f...